Masters of Digital: Are we ready for Europe's Digital Moment?
30 March 2022
The 6th edition of DIGITALEUROPE's Masters of Digital took place on 3 February 2022 in a hybrid format - both in Brussels and online. We welcomed over 100 attendees to The Hotel, Brussels and over 2000 joined us online.
The event focused on digital technologies and their crucial role in Europe's response to the COVID crisis. Throughout the day, we were joined by a top-level line up of speakers for keynotes, fireside chats and interactive panel discussions.
The event was this year titled 'Europe's Digital Moment' to highlight the opportunity Europe has to lead - from artificial intelligence to the Internet of Things, Europe is showing the way when it comes to regulating emerging technologies.
The 5 main takeaway points from the event were:
1. Digital Decade = investment + modern rules. President von der Leyen made this clear, highlighting that digital must benefit citizens and businesses, as she presented key upcoming legislations including the EU Chips Act.
2. Digital innovation in the public sector will rely on digital skills and private-public partnerships, drawing on the many successful initiatives flourishing during COVID. See below the replay of the panel discussion with speakers including Mr Vittorio Colao, Italian Minister for Technical Innovation and Digital Transition and Ms Carme Artigas, Spanish Secretary of State for Digitization and Artificial Intelligence.
3. Trust is the cornerstone of increased health data sharing and use, and it will be the pre-requisite underlying a successful European Health Data Space. See more about health data and technologies in the replay of the 'Under the Microscope' panel below.
4. Stronger cybersecurity requires us to be at the forefront of innovation, and the private sector has taken the lead. Watch keynote discussion with NATO Deputy Secretary General Mircea Geoanā for further information:
5. The EU-US Trade and Technology Council will only work if there is industry ownership: stakeholder engagement is fundamental. EVP Margrethe Vestager joined us to close the event to discuss this and more: