The 3rd Annual Data Privacy Conference USA
29 September 2021
Senator Amy Klobuchar
Chairwoman of the Subcommittee on Competition Policy, Antitrust, and Consumer Rights, U.S Senate
Senator Marsha Blackburn
Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Data Security, US Senate
Congressman Gus Bilirakis
Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Commerce, House of Representatives
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
United States Senator for New York, US Senate
Senator Ed Markey
US Senator for Massachusetts, US Senate
Deputy Secretary of Commerce, US Department of Commerce
Acting Director-General, DG JUST, European Commission
Samuel T. Towell
Deputy Attorney General, Civil Litigation Division, Office of the Attorney General, Virginia
Peter A. Winn
Acting Chief Privacy and Civil Liberties Officer, US Department of Justice
Cameron F. Kerry
Distinguished visiting fellow, Center for Technology Innovation, Brookings Institution
Head of Technology, NortonLifeLock
Vice President & Chief Privacy Officer, Workday
Job titles correct at the time of the event
About the Event
Gathering over 400 delegates from across the US and the world, The 3rd Annual Data Privacy Conference USA hosted virtually by Forum Global took place on September 29th, 2021.
The conference featured thought leaders, legislators, the public and private sectors, and civil society representatives to explore the latest in the push for a set of federal privacy rules, the extent to which a comprehensive framework is realistically achievable after years of repeated efforts, and the possible ramifications for citizens, SMBs, enforcement authorities and the tech industry should a consensus not be reached within the next few years. It discussed the major implications these issues could have on other top priorities for the Biden administration in the digital and privacy realms, including on the efforts to boost transatlantic cooperation on digital regulations, starting with a new EU-US privacy agreement, as well as initiatives to ensure that the US remains the global leader in AI developments. Significant focus was also given to major privacy changes led by “digital giants” in the AdTech sector which could impact existing revenue streams and business models and revolutionize the digital ecosystem that we know today.
This conference is an annual event providing a meeting place for the data privacy community in the US and beyond. This was the third edition of the Data Privacy Conference USA, building on the success of the previous two US editions and of nine editions of the European Data Protection & Privacy conference held every year in Brussels.
Highlights of the third edition:
- Keynote speeches from 5 Members of Congress, including Senators Amy Klobuchar, Marsha Blackburn, Kirsten Gillibrand & Ed Markey as well as Representative Gus Bilirakis.
- A high-level discussion between Don Graves Deputy Secretary of Commerce, U.S. Department of Commerce and Salla Saastamoinen, Acting Director-General, DG JUST, European Commission on ‘Achieving an interoperable privacy mechanism for a renewed transatlantic digital relationship’.
- Insightful conversations on the possible enactment of a US Federal privacy law; the privacy and civil rights challenges linked to the use of AI and personal data; the relationship between privacy, user trust, targeted advertising and future AdTech business models.
- A ‘virtual’ meeting place for the US and global data privacy community, gathering over 400 delegates in 2021.
- Attendees were able to take advantage of networking, exhibition booths and Q&A features on our virtual events platform, making the experience as close to a live conference as possible considering the circumstances.
Back to All Case Studies