The 11th Annual European Data Protection & Privacy Conference
2 December 2021
Vice President for Values and Transparency, European Commission
Minister of Justice, Slovenia
Minister of Justice, France
President, Global Affairs & Chief Legal Office, Google
Juan Fernando López Aguilar
Chair of the LIBE Committee, European Parliament
Deputy General Rapporteur, Autorité de la concurrence, France
Prof. Ulrich Kelber
Federal Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information, Germany
Deputy to the Director for Fundamental Rights and the Rule of Law, European Commission
Deputy Director for International Data Transfers, DCMS, UK Government
Cecilia Álvarez Rigaudias
Global Data Protection Officer & Head of Data Protection and Privacy, SAP
Job titles correct at the time of the event
About the Event
The European Data Protection & Privacy Conference is a staple in the European privacy community’s calendar, attracting more than 250 cross-sector delegates annually since 2010. With the last two editions having taken place virtually, the conference will return to Brussels in a hybrid format in 2022 to debate and discuss the most pertinent and timely data privacy issues through interactive panel discussions, speeches and interviews.
The 11th edition focussed on how Europe could re-ignite trust in digital technologies as we live in a society that is increasingly data-driven. Topics of discussions revolved around reflections on what is needed to improve and bolster the GDPR; the intersection of data privacy and competition in the platform economy; Artificial intelligence and the creation of data spaces for the public good; What the future holds for international data transfers; Striking the balance between the right to privacy and the protection of children online with the e-Privacy derogation.
Highlights of the 11th edition included:
- High-level participation of EU Institutions representatives, including Vera Jourova, Vice President for Values and Transparency, European Commission; Andrea Jelinek, Chair, EDPB; MEPs Juan Fernando López Aguilar, Paul Tang & Deirdre Clune; Bruno Gencarelli, Deputy to the Director for Fundamental Rights and the Rule of Law, European Commission
- Contributions from national authorities and agencies, including from Marjan Dikaučič, Minister of Justice, Slovenia; Éric Dupond-Moretti, Minister of Justice, France; Joe Jones, Deputy Director for International Data Transfers, DCMS, UK Government; Pascale Déchamps, Deputy General Rapporteur, Autorité de la concurrence, France; Prof. Ulrich Kelber, Federal Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information, Germany
- Successful transition to a fully online format at short notice
- Over 460 delegates attending from all over the world.
- Attendees were able to take advantage of networking, exhibition booths and Q&A features on our virtual events platform, making the experience as close to a live conference as possible considering the circumstances.
Back to All Case Studies